Yonkers New York History
It is not often that Yonkers can claim to be more innovative than New York City, but in its gritty downtown corridor, a unique project is developing that does not exist in the five boroughs. In recent decades, it has been renovated and modernized, slowly erasing the last vestiges of the urban and industrial waterfront. This has led to an impressive series of restoration projects across New York, in particular the revitalization and redevelopment of its waterfront, which has led to a number of unique projects, some of which are more ambitious than anything else in the history of our city.
The main candidate is Tibbetts Brook, which flows underground through the streets of the Bronx and ends above ground in Yonkers. The Old Croton Aqueduct leads south into the Bronx and connects to the Hudson River, Westchester River and East River.
In 1682 Friedrich Philipse bought land and built a mansion that was later used as the town hall of Port Yonkers. Developed by his father-in-law, the late Sir William Phillips, he became master of the Philipsborough estate, built the first house in what is now downtown Yonker, and became master and master of the Philipsboro estate in 1684. It was located in what is now Yonkinger and was the home of William Philips and his wife Mary, the daughter of Thomas Philips, a wealthy businessman.
Highlights of the hall include a large collection of presidential portraits, including six presidents of New York State. The collection includes portraits of Presidents George Washington, John F. Kennedy, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and George W. Clinton (ca. 1884 - 1887).
The Old Croton Aqueduct Trail teaches visitors a lesson in New York history, starting north of NewCroton Dam and ending at Old Croton Dam.
Yonkers is also known for its racetrack, which opened in 1899 as the Empire City Trabting Club. It is not so much that the people of Yonkers consider themselves New York wannabe Americans, but rather that they believe they are already part of the Big Apple. In 1849, the New York City Railroad connected the city with the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and parts of Westchester County. Today, Yonker has reemerged as a suburb where most of its residents work in New York City, but it is not a "suburb of New York" in the sense that it is a city - a city with maintained rail lines that allow commuting.
The city of Yonkers in Westchester County is located north of the Bronx and is the second largest city in the state of New York and the third largest in New Jersey. It is bordered by the Hudson River to the north and is located in a hilly area beyond the hilly areas of the North Bronx. Yonker is not a free-standing small town, nor a small town, but rather part of a larger city with its own history and culture.
After the Dutch had made this area New Holland, the tribes of the Wappinger Confederation inhabited the area, which later became the port of Yonkers. One of her main activities was to bring her harvest to New York via the main port, where she would ship it to the farmers.
In the summer of 1842, the New York and Harlem Railroad trains traveled to Williamsbridge, and the railroad reached White Plains in 1844. The Hudson River Railroad was built in the same period, and Peekskill reached it in 1849. The aqueduct became obsolete in the late 19th century, when the population of New York City continued to boom. In the 1890s, it was built on the site of the old Hudson-Harlem-Yonkers-Westchester Railroad, which had been rebuilt.
The land was later acquired by Friedrich Philipse, who built a mansion there in 1682, which was used for a time as Yonkers Town Hall. The city's growth threatened the future of Manor Hall, so that in the 1920s it was acquired by the State of New York as part of the city's expansion into the Bronx and Westchester counties. In 1929, the city of Yonker bought the eight-hectare site, but by then its future was threatened by the city's growth and the "Yonkers" building was in ruins. In 1978, it was moved to the Ithaca campus of Cornell University and in 1990 to its current location.
The local marble quarry was one of the main reasons why New York State chose Sing Sing as the site for the new prison, which began in 1825. Irish workers who had emigrated to escape famine in their homeland, and who were built mainly for them. The British occupation and the farmers of Westchester began to sell and produce their cattle, while New Yorkers in the city recovered from British occupation.
He was interested in the Hudson Highlands and its natural beauty and was offered the opportunity to take command as a military base of the US Army and the State of New York.